[techtalk] Firewalls und an off-topic Solaris question

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Fri Jul 6 10:02:45 EST 2001

Hey all,

Have a couple of questions for you.  First, I'm setting up a Linux box with
64-bit PCI Gig ethernet cards.  One SX, and one copper.  It's going to act
as a firewall.

So, the first question is has anyone had any experience with Linux
firewalling and Gig speeds?  Are there horrible throughput issues?  Any
other gotchas?  I'll be testing throughput today or monday against another
SX box, but I unfortunately don't have another gig copper box to test
against.  Ah well.

The second question's a bit easier, and I think it's been asked before but
not answered.  A friend of mine recently got a job as a Solaris admin (much
to his chagrin; more like he got stuck with the job), and needs a good
Solaris Admin book that's somewhat basic.  Any suggestions?

Thanks all...

-Brian

Brian Sweeney
bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu

"The life expectancy of an unpatched, default installation of Red Hat 6.2
server is three days. The last time we attempted to confirm this, the system
was compromised in eight hours."
-The Honeynet Project