[techtalk] Mutt functionality

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Fri Jul 6 00:24:40 EST 2001

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:33:24PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Telsa Gwynne thought:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:57:43AM -0700 or thereabouts, Michelle Dukich wrote:
>
> Searchable by the standard commandline tools
> (grep thing Mail/receive*) or by a keybinding which is
> usually escape-V (or do I mean escape-B? I forget :))
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You do.

> to search for a pattern in the bodies of all messages
> in the folder you're in.

Another capability here is the 'l' key which 'limits' display to match a
pattern.  For example, you *know* Telsa posted something vaguely about
laptops a while back (you did, didn't you Telsa?) but you can't remember
the subject line, you can do 'l Telsa' and get only messages from Telsa
and then hunt through them for a vaguely familiar or appropriate subjectline.

> > 3.  Can we cut and paste text within and between
> > emails with Mutt?
>
> Well, you can run two mutts open on different messages
> and cut and paste like that.

This is the one thing that bothers me about mutt.  I suppose I could have
vi shell out and start another mutt to get the text from.  That'd be cool!

> > Any pointers/suggestions anyone else can give are
> > greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Only thing I can think of is that mahogany is GUI, I believe?
> Mutt is firmly, adamantly, text-based.

But very customisable.  In colour, this list (and others) shows up very
nicely with things like threaded conversations, new messages in bright
red, old ones in plain red, personal new messages in bright yellow and
messages that I've replied to in blue (bright).

> It will do things like
> display pics if you tell it to, but it assumes you may be
> reading on a console so it won't do that by default. (It
> tells you the attachment is present, and you can either
> open them on a "as you meet them" basis, or you can set it
> up always to open certain sorts.
>
> Telsa

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
 12:07am  up 21 days, 24 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.07, 0.06
Hobbiton.cod.ie
 12:16am  up 21 days, 33 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00