[techtalk] netmeeting incoming behind linux router

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Jul 2 15:41:19 EST 2001

Hi, Robin,

What version of the Linux kernel are you using.  ipchains/ipmasq in the
2.2.x kernels really aren't designed for two way traffic through a NAT.
iptables in the 2.4.x kernel will do the job you want.  I have no
experience with Microsoft NetMeeting, but I have had to configure a
firewall to pass Citrix (Metaframe) traffic and I could *not* do it
effectively with just  ipchains.  This is one of those situations where an
upgrade may be in order.

If you are running an older 2.0.x kernel, look seriously into the Sinus
firewall.  It's Open Source/free and will do what you need as well.

http://www.sinusfirewall.org

Regards,
Caity

                    Robin Edmunds
                    <robin at globalserve        To:     techtalk at linuxchix.org
                    .net>                     cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     [techtalk] netmeeting incoming behind linux router
                    techtalk-admin at lin
                    uxchix.org

                    07/02/01 02:17 PM

Hello:
well. the short and sweet of it is that  with the  support module loaded
the very best we seem to be able to accomplish is  an outgoing netmeeting
call and  are unable to set the port forwarding  properly to ever
accomodate incoming calls  or make calls to  another user behind a linux
router using ip masq
has anyone succeeded in making two way traffic using netmeeting?