[techtalk] DNS

Conor Daly conor.daly at met.ie
Sun Jan 21 16:45:03 EST 2001

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:31:43AM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Kath thought:
> Anyone know a good howto on setting up a DNS server?  Have any tips?

I used a whole bunch of HOWTOs for my home network including the DNS
HOWTO.  I set up a caching DNS with zones for my home network but, AFAIK,
if you have public IP addresses for your 3rd level domains, you'll need to
delve further.
> What I want is that workstations on my network have it specified as
> their DNS server.
>
> Also so I can assign 3rd level domain names with unique IPs
> (so dumby.kathweb.net points to one place and foobar.kathweb.net points
> to someplace else).
>
> Any help here?  I looked at the docs at linuxdoc.org and got a bit
> confused as to what to do.  Should I compile from source?  Use a binary
> (I'm using Debian)?  Should I put the DNS server behind my firewall or
> run it on the firewall (The firewall is a masquerading box)?
I'm using an old 486 as ip masq firewall and router and have the DNS on
the P200 server.

> - Kath the Very Confused
You mean  Kath the shortly to become even more confused!! :-)

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
faenor.cod.ie
  3:41pm  up 89 days, 22:10,  0 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.02

Hobbiton.cod.ie
  3:36pm  up 14 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.05