[techtalk] DNS

Kath ranger at optonline.net
Sun Jan 21 09:31:43 EST 2001

Anyone know a good howto on setting up a DNS server?  Have any tips?

What I want is that workstations on my network have it specified as their DNS server.

Also so I can assign 3rd level domain names with unique IPs (so dumby.kathweb.net points to one place and foobar.kathweb.net points to someplace else).

Any help here?  I looked at the docs at linuxdoc.org and got a bit confused as to what to do.  Should I compile from source?  Use a binary (I'm using Debian)?  Should I put the DNS server behind my firewall or run it on the firewall (The firewall is a masquerading box)?

- Kath the Very Confused