[techtalk] Basic networking

David Merrill dmerrill at lupercalia.net
Tue Jan 16 12:31:02 EST 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 07:42:34PM -0500, Angela Nash wrote:
> You can set up a system and use what is known as NAT (Network Address
> Translation), or Masq in Linux.  Basically, this lets more than one PC use a
> single IP address.
>
> My recommendation is to go buy the LinkSys Etherfast Cable/DSL router.  They
> are $99 from buy.com and do NAT in hardware.  They are fast and easy to
> configure.  Plus, they inherently secure your network since inbound
> connections are not allowed.
>
> Cheap and very effective.

This is the simplest and easiest route, which is probably a good thing
since you're still learning the basics.

Be aware, however, that the lack of inbound connections, while
simplifying everything, will prevent you from running public services
on your machine, such as a web server. This may not matter to you, but
before you decide to take this route you should be aware of the
limitation.

Regards,

David