[techtalk] HP JetDirect print server (and how they don't work!)

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Jan 11 15:24:28 EST 2001

Got a hold of some (very) old HP JetDirect EX j2382a external print
servers and I'm trying (failing) to get them to work from RH6.2  I'm
running a dhcp server and each will configure its ip address via bootp,
will respond to ping and will accept a telnet direct to the printer port
so I can use the printer as a teletype.  I cannot telnet directly to the
server and it won't run as an lpr queue under RH while it will work with
the HP jetadmin software for Windows.  The servers are pretty old and
don't have flash upgrade simms so I cannot do a firmware upgrade.   I
tried a telnet portscan on the server and could only connect to the direct
port which ain't exactly useful when trying to print graphics is it?

Any ideas where to go?  (bin / skip / shop for new external print server)

TIA

Domestic Sysadmin :-)