[techtalk] killing processes on dead pts/n 's

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Wed Feb 28 12:02:56 EST 2001

Greetings,

I access my linux box from work with PuTTY, and occasionally I lose my
connection. When this happens, I wind up with a process (mutt usually,
or vi) that is still running, that I sometimes cannot kill using
"kill", or with top. It seems to be because the process no long has a
pts associated with it.

Is there any other way to reliably kill such a process and free its
resources? It's not a huge problem, but after I've accumulated a dozen
or so of these, it bugs me.

tia,

Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

"Violence accomplishes nothing."  What a contemptible lie!  Raw, naked
violence has settled more issues throughout history than any other method
ever employed.  Perhaps the city fathers of Carthage could debate the
issue, with Hitler and Alexander as judges?