[techtalk] tcl/tk problem in Slackware 7.1

Eric R. Turner turnere at cc.wwu.edu
Sat Feb 24 09:51:04 EST 2001

Check the /var/log/packages directory, which maintains a log for each
package that is installed. My /var/log/packages directory shows that tcl,
tk, and tix are installed. You can install the missing packages by
inserting the slackware CD, mounting it, cd to the slakware/tcl1 directory
on the CD, and use the installpkg command:

installpkg tcl.tgz
installpkg tix.tgz
installpkg tk.tgz

To remove packages later on you can do:

removepkg tcl
removepkg tix
removepkg tk

I use the slackware installpkg and removepkg commands every
once-in-a-while to temporarily install the c/c++ compilers and libraries
on my firewall in order to compiler and install new software, then remove
the compiler and libraries so they are not available if the firewall is
compromised.

Hope that helps,
Eric R. Turner

BTW, make sure you are using the same version slackware CD to install
packages as you did to install slackware itself.

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, FeO wrote:

> >i'm trying to install xcdroast 0.96 (cd burning software for x).  when i run
> >./configure, i get the following output:
> >
> >------------snip-------------------
> >
> >Looking for TCL 8.0-Library: not found
> >Looking for TK 8.0-Library: not found
> >Looking for Tix 4.1-Library: /usr/lib/libtix4.1.8.0.so (shared)
> >                              /usr/lib/libtix4.1.8.0.a (static)
> >Looking for Tix 4.1-SAM-Library: /usr/lib/libtixsam4.1.8.0.so (shared)
> >                                  /usr/lib/libtixsam4.1.8.0.a (static)
> >Looking for TCL 8.0 lib-directory: not found
> >Looking for TK 8.0 lib-directory: not found
> >Looking for Tix 4.1 lib-directory: /usr/lib/tix4.1/
> >Looking for TCL/TK/Tix include-files: /usr/include/
> >
> >No TCL 8.0 Library found. Please install TCL 8.0.
> >
> >---------------------snip--------------------
> >
> >this surprised me, since i thought i asked slackware to install the tcl/tk
> >libs during the install.  so i did a "whereis tcl" and a "whereis tk" (the
> >only way i know of to determine if software is installed.  are there
> >better ways?) and got this output:
> >
> >tcl: /usr/bin/tcl /usr/lib/tcl8.3 /usr/include/tcl.h
> >
> >and
> >
> >tk: /usr/lib/tk8.3 /usr/include/tk.h /usr/man/mann/tk.n.gz
> >/usr/man/catn/tk.n.gz /usr/X11/man/catn/tk.n.gz
> >
> >which i take to mean that i have the libs for tcl/tk 8.3 installed.  is it
> >possible that xcdroast *requires* the older version of tcl/tk?  or could
> >there be a good reason why the configure script can't see the version i
> >have installed?
> >
> >any help would be much appreciated!  thanks,

My public OpenPGP key can be found at
http://www.wwu.edu/~turnere/turnere.asc