[techtalk] Networking Courses

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Tue Feb 20 13:16:17 EST 2001

I took a class recently from Global Knowledge called "IT Bootcamp".  it was $2500, 5 days, and delivered in locations around the US every week.  It wasn't bad, definitely worthwhile for me.  my job payed for the class and were good about the time away from the office.  The propaganda makes it sound very intensive and hands-on...it's not.  we got to touch some hubs, switches and routers, but didn't do any router configs, and certianly didn't stay till 9pm every night like the literature warned.  It was more theoretical than I would have liked, and an entire morning was spent skimming through the pros and cons of obscure protocols that I couldn't care less about, was also a little bit on the windoze-centric side althugh the instructor was knowledgeable of lots of platforms and could answer questions.  It was good for someone with some networking experience who is fairly mystified but not entirely clueless.  It is considered a pre-req for the CCNA classes, and I think is prep eno!
ugh for a network + certification which I hope to get just to have an excuse to go back over the material and absorb it a bit better.