[techtalk] ssh file transfer

stephanie1200 at netscape.net stephanie1200 at netscape.net
Fri Feb 16 12:37:00 EST 2001

There is also sftp which should be documented in the ssh stuff.

and if you're really feeling frisky, you can set up an ssh tunnel, and run ncftp (allowing recursive gets and puts! get an entire dir at a time with a -R!) through it.  There was a lovely article on how to do this in sys admin magazine, january 2001 issue, but i can't seem to get to their site sysadminmag.com, to find it.  here's the heart of the article though:

"ssh -R 32000:localhost:23 -l jdoe ppp25.den.myisp.com

The command above means: using SSH, map a prot (32000) on the REMOTE server (ppp25.den.myisp.com) to my local manchine (you unix workstation at work) port (23) and your login to the REMOTE server (ppp25...) as user "jdoe".  If your username on your workstation at work is the same as your workstation at home, you can eliminate the "-l jdoe" portion of the command.

[snip...]

then on your home mahcine, you can connect back by using

telnet localhost 32000

You should be presented with a login prompt from you workstation.  I't s okay to use telnet here b/c it is being encrypted over the SSH tunnel."

So you could modify this to ftp/ncftp back instead of telnet.