[techtalk] ssh file transfer

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 15:03:21 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, David Merrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know there is supposed to be a way to transfer files from one
> computer to another once I have an ssh connection set up, but the man
> page is very vague.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers or point me to some docs?

You want the "scp" feature (Secure CoPy). Use it like this:

scp filename.tar.gz james at bigbox:/home/james/

"man scp" will give you more information, but here's a quick summary:

scp <source> <destination>

source and destination are user at hostname:path (remote location), or just a
filename.

One caveat: no wildcards!

James.