[techtalk] disappearing mouse!!

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Fri Feb 2 19:59:09 EST 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 04:06:15PM -0800, I guess I'm an underwater thing wrote:

> > Not much info to go on.  Is this a console mouse?  If so take a look at
> > gpm.  Is it in X that you lost the mouse?  If so look at the backup
> > XF86Config file and compare it to your current file (pointer section)
> > see if there is a difference.  The version of Linux your running would
> > help also.
> > kent
>
> Sorry 'bout that.  I'm running redhat 6.2, gnome/enlightenment.  I've lost
> my mouse in X.
>
> I don't see a backup XF86Config file in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11.

You mentioned that you changed the resolution.  How did you do that?
If your mouse was working before that then there must be something that
was done during that process that changed your mouse configuration.  What I was
thinking is you ran XF86Setup or something like that.  I believe that
would have created a backup file.  At any rate can you reverse your
changes and see if you can get the mouse back?  Does the mouse work in
console?  Mouse behavior in X is determined by the pointer section in
XF86Config.  Mess around with that.  Restart X between changes.  Check
and make sure the mouse cable is seated properly.  Just throwing out
some suggestions.  I'm not that familiar with redhat.  Maybe some redhat
guru will have better suggestions.  You shouldn't have to reinstall.  At
worst I would think just reconfigure X with XF86Setup or xf86config or
whatever redhat uses.
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson