[techtalk] Tar memory issue?

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Fri Feb 2 15:45:40 EST 2001

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 02:45:40PM -0500, Brian Sweeney wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone had memory problems with tar?  I've noticed that when creating a
> decent size tar file (750M) that includes a whole BUNCH of files linux runs
> really low on memory, and it doesn't seem to come back.
>
> For instance, I ran a top on a computer, and it had approximately 68Meg
> "free".  During the tar process, I kept the top going, and the memory stayed
> steady for a while, then the free memory suddenly went down to about 2Meg,
> popped back up to about 3, and stayed there.  Even after tar finished, the
> box kept claiming it only had 3M memory free, even though a top showed the
> running processes were not eating that much.
>
> I didn't notice any performance issues, though I haven't thoroughly tested
> it yet.  I looked on google and redhat, but didn't find anything.  I also
> tried to use memprof for the first time, and that, near as I can tell did
> nothing except generate seg faults ;P.
>
> Anyone have any ideas/suggestions...?

Ya don't worry about it.  This question comes up a lot on the debian
user's list and I should know the full explanation, off the top of my
head, but I don't.  Basically it is the way linux handles memory.  It
looks like there isn't not much memory free but in really when the kernel
needs more memory it gets it.  Not a very elegant explanation but I'm a
little under the weather today or I would research more.  Do a search of
debian-user @ http://www.geocrawler.com/ I bet you will come up with
something.
hth,
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson