[techtalk] Re; A+ certification

Mary P. Wood empea at bigfoot.com
Fri Feb 2 10:36:48 EST 2001

Ian mentioned:

 > But do you *want* the world to know that [you can fix
 > computers]?

Ha, ha!  Good point.  But I don't think getting my A+ will
change the number of friends and family who know ...
only the number of prospective employers.  I'm currently
part-time and am thinking it would be nice to do something
else on the side to supplement the income ... such as
1 or 2 days a week at a local mom&pop computer store.
A+ certification cracks the door just a little wider, and
who knows?  I might actually learn something useful.

 > "I got my first 'hi, I'm so-and-so, X's friend. I've got this
 > computer problem.. and he said you could help me. See,
 > my AOL stopped working...' which means I either have to
 > move away, or get my phone number changed again"

But on the other hand, if you don't like X, this is a
wonderful opportunity to amuse yourself at the expense
of X's stupidity.

 > Last time I looked at A+, it was very hardware and DOS-heavy.

That's my understanding.  The DOS end is where I've been
warned to expect obscure trivia questions.  I've been doing
A+ type work for 5 months now and have actually run into
very few DOS issues ... none of which couldn't be solved by
flipping through a book or a website real quick.  Is this
normal, or have I just been lucky and a true fix-it geek
requires painfully detailed fluency in every incarnation of
DOS?

- Mary