[Techtalk] What I did over the Christmas Holidays!

Caitlyn Martin caitlynmaire at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 31 15:34:00 EST 2001

Hi, David.

> No, it doesn't handle Hebrew, Arabic, or other semitic or asian
> languages.

It's no good for me, then.

> It is not pretty, either. It is also not intuitive. When
> you start using it, the first thing you'd better do is print out the
> hotkey list and tape it by your computer.

Gee.  I'd hate it.

> Mutt is all about mail handling and customization for people with serious
> mail to work through. Intelligent handling of mailing lists is a biggie if
> you're on a lot of them. I have mine put mail To: my mom into their own
> folder, along with her messages to me.

A number of mail clients do an excellent job of this.  I am on many
lists and they all go into folders, sub folders, and sub-sub folders.
(This message went top Inbox->Computing->LinuxChix->Techtalk.  I also
filter out known SPAM sites.  I can do all of this with kmail,
Evolution, Sylpheed, Mozilla/Netscape 6.2, and others.  I don't need to
sacrifice a nice interface.

> I customize my .sig through a script using my own fortune files, and
> use a different script based on the recipient. I only use my pagan
> quotes fortune file on my pagan list, for example.

Again, their are GUI clients that support multiple sigs and customized
commands.

> I have special people's mail highlighted in different colors, so their
> mail stands out.

Again, same point.

> Possibly the gui muas have gotten this kind of functionality in by
> now. I haven't looked at them in over a year.

Do look again.

All the best,
Caity