[Techtalk] eth0 appears to be configured correctly but can't ping across network

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Thu Dec 27 15:16:07 EST 2001

> Also make sure your Ethernet cable is working.
>
> I went into my job once to fix a server.  It had been unplugged and
> shutoff.  I plugged the Cat5 back in to the nearest wall outlet.  For 20
> minutes I sat there playing with the routing table saying 'This makes no
> sense!'.
>
> For laughs and giggles I put the Ethernet cable into another jack.
>
> It worked instantly.
>
> I was like "You people are going to drive me to drink."

definitely .. i was assuming the cable had been tested :) ... we had a
fellow sit out on an entire lan party once because he couldn't get on the
network.  reinstalled the OS several times, tried different NICs,
different ports ... turns out it was the cable :)  .. but this was way
back in our early days.  still not a good excuse though ;p

coldie