[Techtalk] iptables DMZ and more :)

Brian Sweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Thu Dec 27 12:04:46 EST 2001

James wrote:

 > Anyone have a good rundown on an iptables DMZ firewall?  I've read a few
 > premade-fill in the blank scripts for it, but does anyone have their own
 > they could share?  Preferably not entirely complicated with things I can
 > understand.  This is what I'm looking to do:

Haven't tried it in production m'self, but there's a nice project on on
sourceforge called fwbuilder
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/fwbuilder/); very straightforward
interface, sort-of checkpoint-ish.  It generates XML, then compiles into
a "rules" file with familiar iptables commands.  The nice part is it's
object-oriented, so grouping hosts/servers/networks/etc should be pretty
straightforward.  And there are some nice user-contributed scripts for
allowing firewall rules to be installed onto other machines via ssh, so
you could if necessary administer a number of different firewalls with
one interface (doesn't sound like you'll need it for this setup, but a
nice feature nonetheless).

Good luck!

-Brian