[Techtalk] eth0 appears to be configured correctly but can't ping across network

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Wed Dec 26 19:15:40 EST 2001

>'route' was probably trying to lookup a hostname for your default gateway.
>issue a 'route -n' and that will show the routing table with just
>numerical addresses.

yup.. that all seems fine. Identical to the box that works.

>as for the network problem .. just make sure that it's assigned a unique
>ip address, that the subnet mask is correct, and that the broadcast
>address is correct.  then you should at least be able to ping machines on
>the immediate physical network (provided there are no firewalls preventing
>icmp traffic).

all seem correct but I can't ping anything.

>if you still have trouble, try sniffing the network from the host that
>isn't working .. check and see if it can see anything on the wire.

I'm not sure what I need to do here. All I have tried to do is ping the
router, the other linux box and the doze boxen with no joy. I just wish I
had some kind of error etc. at the moment the settings look the same as the
box that works.. but it doesn't work!

Thanks for any advice you can offer

Rachel