[Techtalk] eth0 appears to be configured correctly but can't ping across network

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Wed Dec 26 14:03:01 EST 2001

> I can ping the card and the machine name from itself but I can't ping my
> gateway (ISDN router) or any other machines on the network and I can't ping
> this box from any other machine. The only unusual thing I have found so far
> is if I do
>
> route
>
> localnet appears immediately, the default gateway takes about 5 minutes to
> appear. When it does appear it looks correct (as compared to my other box
> with a similar configuration) however I still have no access into or out of
> this box.

'route' was probably trying to lookup a hostname for your default gateway.
issue a 'route -n' and that will show the routing table with just
numerical addresses.

as for the network problem .. just make sure that it's assigned a unique
ip address, that the subnet mask is correct, and that the broadcast
address is correct.  then you should at least be able to ping machines on
the immediate physical network (provided there are no firewalls preventing
icmp traffic).

if you still have trouble, try sniffing the network from the host that
isn't working .. check and see if it can see anything on the wire.  check
back if you can't figure it out..

coldie