[Techtalk] Slackware 8, Xfree 4.1.0, and an S3 Virge card

Jennifer Davis jsd at jenn.ca
Thu Dec 13 23:09:29 EST 2001

Hi :)

It's just me seeking your advice on a problem I should be able to solve on
my own.  I have a friend who's computer dies and we decided to run linux.
Slack installs fine.  It's just that we can't seem to get x working.  The
cursor is funny and there is a big black line down the centre of the
screen.  When I tried to install Mandrake, the screen showed fine, so X
should be able to handle this.  The PC is a P200, with the video card
built into the motherboard.  We have tried many different x servers
including the generic svga one.  Does anyone have any suggestions for
either a solution or any more additional information to hep diagnose this?

Jenn