[Techtalk] DMZs, etc.

Lemanski, Lahoma J. LJLemanski at mail.ifas.ufl.edu
Tue Dec 11 09:41:45 EST 2001

I set up a hardware firewall last night that has all the functionality you
could possibly hope for, it is a linux kernel based firewall, and uses an
old box.
All you need is three nics (if you want to set up a DMZ server farm),(for
the easiest setup, nics made by different manufacturers would be best), 16
megs of RAM, A cdrom drive, an old Hard drive (i used a WD 420 MB disk) an
old video card and keyboard, and Monitor(monitor is only needed during the
initial setup. If your old machine has issues with booting from the cdrom,
you can make a boot disk from an image provided with the install disk. It is
remotely configurable from a web browser, acts as a dhcp server, cacheing
dns server, and can also setup dyndns for your webservers/ftp servers if
neccesary. You can download the iso from www.smoothwall.org. I highly
recommend it. They are currently working to produce a product that can use
solidstate memory instead of a hard drive, and if you want to make a
donation to their paypal account it may help them with their development. I
have tested the integrity of this product (with the help of a friend who
also runs a smoothwall) and even the most aggressive and sneaky scanning
tactics produced no results. Also, the web administration interface is
really beautiful, easy configuration, and really great help and
documentation is availabel.
Good Luck,
Lahoma