[Techtalk] DMZs, etc.

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Mon Dec 10 19:15:32 EST 2001

The the servers are all Linux, you could just have firewall software on all
of them if won't slow them down (it doesn't sound like it if you're only on
a fractiona T-1). You could then get away with a single firewall for your
internal network (if the number of boxes is the primary concern).

I've asked about building low-cost firewalls on this list and elsewhere.
Here are some free software packages that can be run off of cheap (<$150
since it doesn't seem like performance will be a huge deal) computers; some
do not require a hard drive:

http://smoothwall.org/
http://www.devil-linux.com/
http://www.embsd.org
http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/
http://www.sentryfirewall.com/
http://www.opensourcefirewall.com/index.html

http://www.suse.com/us/products/suse_business/firewall/ (not free)

I'm sure there are others out there ...

I have not tried any of these yet, but will try them soon.

Jen