[Techtalk] Help running X on my television

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Tue Aug 28 02:40:35 EST 2001

Please, don't laugh.  Really.

I have a new computer whose job is running all of the entertainment
center stuff I have -- ripping CDs, capturing video, playing music,
playing video files, etc.  I'm running it without a monitor on
account of I have it wired up to the television for video capture
and playback.  The video card is an ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 128 and
it supports composite video output to a television, so that's what
I've been using for the monitor.

Most of the time I run Windows Me on account of that is where the
video capture and editing and whatnot tools all live.  But I also
want to be able to run Linux.  I can get Linux to run in text mode
just fine and the screen shows up on my TeeVee.  But when I try to
start X in 800x600 mode, X pitches a fit and I get no display on
either a real monitor hooked up to the standard video output or the
TeeVee.  And there are no diagnostic messages saying what went
wrong.

Has anyone ever done what I'm trying to do?
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.