[Techtalk] old problem with Debian unstable libc6 and tar

Claudine claudine at replicant.apana.org.au
Sun Aug 26 20:47:51 EST 2001

Calling anyone who has been following the problems with Debian
(unstable)'s libc6 package.

I attempted to upgrade libc6 to the broken 2.2.3-10 package one or
two weeks ago.  This had an undefined symbol "atexit" which caused
many programs to complain, among them sed, tar and shar.
The problem is supposed to have been fixed in libc6 2.2.3-11,
but I can't install any .debs because of tar.

tar: error while loading shared libraries: tar: undefined symbol: atexit
dpkg-deb: subprocess tar returned error exit status 127
dpkg: error processing /tmp/libc6_2.2.4-1_i386.deb (--install):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
  /tmp/libc6_2.2.4-1_i386.deb

Attempting to downgrade to libc6 2.2.3-9 has the same result.
Thinking it might be a problem with tar, I got the latest version
of the tar source in .shar.gz format, but unshar returned the same
error.

How am I supposed to get around this?  Is it possible something else
is seriously broken on my machine?

I know this is an old bug which has been fixed, but Real Life has
prevented me from taking care of my poor little computer, and now
I feel like a dork.

Claudine

--
Claudine, geek historian! - Melbourne, AU - http://www.nullpage.org/
         ASCII Ribbon Campaign:                                     <>