[Techtalk] kernel panic

Ray306 at aol.com Ray306 at aol.com
Fri Aug 17 22:10:14 EST 2001

I'm having a problem with starting my Linux distro on 1 of my machines. I
have Mandrake dual booted with Win98 and the Win 98 boots just fine. When I
boot into Linux I get

kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 3:02

I've deduced that there is a problem mounting hda2. I've tried to mount it
and it will not allow that from the command line in rescue. I've also tried
running e2fsck on hda2 and gotten a message stating that this may not be an
ext2 filesystem ( it is) or that the it has a bad superblock (I've tried the
next 5 superblocks to no avail).

Any ideas as to how to get this to complete the boot process.

Thanks
Ray