[techtalk] CPUID serial number - kernel panic

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Aug 10 20:49:52 EST 2001

[ resending because linuxchix.org mail is still handled by hub.org ]

On 04 Aug 2001 18:17:45 -0500, Jeff Dike wrote:
> va3uxb at home.com said:
> > I've just installed Red Hat 6.2 on a brand new computer, the
> > installation worked fine, everything worked really smoothly till I
> > tried to boot up for the first time.  It correctly identifies the
CPU
> > type, then it says: CPUID disabling serial number... and that's
where
> > it dies.
>
> You might try upgrading to a newer kernel.  RH6.2 has 2.4.2, and the
early
> 2.4 kernels were a bit dodgy.

Umm, 6.2 had 2.2.14 plus Red Hat patches, no 2.4 was in sight then.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647
nils at fht-esslingen.de
   The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore,
be
   regarded as a criminal offence.                  -- Edsger W.
Dijkstra