[techtalk] can i help me

Jenny Bernard jbernard at richmond.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:05:20 EST 2001

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Almut Behrens wrote:
> To me, it sounds more like you want to stretch the audio sample
> while leaving other perceived qualities intact... If that's what you
> are trying to do, I'd really recommend that you quickly forget about
> the project -- sorry to disappoint you ;)

There's actually a wonderful little (not shareware) program out there for
Mac called SoundMaker which does satisfactory time-stretching (as in,
keeping the pitches pretty constant)... but for a quick, dirty and _free_
solution, check out sox... it's available on freshmeat, and I believe it
lets you change the sample rate of a file via command line in Linux.  It
also does lots of other nifty things. :)  Here is the homepage:

http://home.sprynet.com/~cbagwell/sox.html

If you decide you want to get down into the nitty gritty yourself, there's
a book called "A Programmer's Guide to Sound" by Tim Kientzle which gives
you a detailed account of exactly the way the header is set up for each
file format, so you can manipulate it yourself, like Almut was talking
about.  Or you might be able to find that information online for free...
I haven't checked into it.

Good luck!
Jenny (who spent all last summer playing manipulating binary data in audio
files. :))

--
Jenny Bernard
jbernard at richmond.edu