[techtalk] bad display name in "add" command

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed Aug 1 00:42:19 EST 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:20:20PM -0400, Tricia Bowen wrote:
> Issue the following command and see what it returns:
>  echo $DISPLAY
>
> for unix systems it should be :0.0, if your's says :10.0, you might try
> issuing this command:
>  export DISPLAY=:0.0

No, that's not true -- it's just the most common value of $DISPLAY when
you log in to X on a local machine.

In particular, if you are logged in via an ssh session that permits X
forwarding, then your display on the remote machine will start at :10.0
and move upwards with successive logins (providing you haven't fiddled
with the default config). This is designed to avoid clashes with any
displays you may have been assigned through logging in locally on that
machine.

Having said that, I don't know how to fix Jennifer's problem (yet). I've
been doing some experiments, but so far I can't replicate it. :-(

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.