[techtalk] Mandrake install problems

Mandi mandi at linuxchick.org
Mon Apr 30 13:00:47 EST 2001

XFree86-4 has a new configuration script, Xconfigurator

Try running that.

Which package of Mandrake did you get?  I stumbled across a "Desktop"
version and absolutely hated it; I installed a full version of mdk 8 a
week later.  If you got the desktop version, it probably wants to go into
X when you boot (the installer doesn't ask, it just does thigs for
you...).  The blinking line cursor in the corner is terminal 7 without X
running.

To turn X off once you get into the machine, edit the file /etc/inittab.

There is a line there,
id:5:initdefault:

Change the 5 to a 3, and the machine will boot right to text console.

HTH

Mandi