[techtalk] Small Linux distributions?

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at bugcops.org
Mon Apr 30 01:38:02 EST 2001

On Sunday 29 April 2001 21:07, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 11:57:30PM +1000 or thereabouts, Neale Green wrote:
> > Could anyone advise me of, and/or point me in the direction of (URL) some
> > preferred Linux distributions for operations on systems with limited
> > resources, please?
> >
> > I'm currently working with a slightly modified old 486 DX2/50 laptop with
> > 24 MB memory, 200 MB disk, and no CD-ROM, trying to get a mobile Linux
> > box for a project. The lack of Laptop means that I need to either do a
> > Floppy install ( difficult with the size of today's distributions ), or
> > download one of the smaller distributions onto the disk (I have a boot
> > disk which will let me get a MS Network connection via a PCMCIA Ethernet
> > card).
>
> It depends on the work you want to do. There are installations which
> come on a single floppy but they tend to be rather focused :) Things
> like the Linux Router Project and stuff
..

That's true for the most of the one floppy mini-distributions but there are
exceptions from that rule:

The mini-Linux I like most is called muLinux, made by Michele Andreoli,
hosted by the nice people in Aalborg, Danmark, and - it rocks!  :)

Please have a short look at the description of the muLinux project and
you will probably aggree to my opinion that muLinux is a very flexible
little project: there are several smart addon-disks providing you with
nice things like X, VNC, Tcl/Tk, Tex, Perl, dosemu, wine ... ... ...

In short: muLinux comes 'full featured' (if you can use this term for a
          mini-distro) and the skilled people on the muLinux Mailing List
          are both helpful and friendly to novices.

Homepage: http://sunsite.auc.dk/mulinux/

Have fun!

  Karl-Heinz

--