[techtalk] Small Linux distributions?

Neale Green neale at neale.org
Sun Apr 29 23:57:30 EST 2001

Could anyone advise me of, and/or point me in the direction of (URL) some
preferred Linux distributions for operations on systems with limited
resources, please?

I'm currently working with a slightly modified old 486 DX2/50 laptop with 24
MB memory, 200 MB disk, and no CD-ROM, trying to get a mobile Linux box for
a project. The lack of Laptop means that I need to either do a Floppy
install ( difficult with the size of today's distributions ), or download
one of the smaller distributions onto the disk (I have a boot disk which
will let me get a MS Network connection via a PCMCIA Ethernet card).

I'm running RedHat on my other Linux boxes, but I can't find any way to
download what I need to the laptop to install RedHat ( can't point to a
network drive for the install process, RedHat wants a local dev address ).

Anyway, I'm hoping that there are distributions out there that others have
found which will run in the smaller, slower boxes a bit better (preferably
with a DOS executable kickoff), could anyone suggest any please?

Any suggestions and/or assistance would be gratefully accepted.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Regards,

Neale