[techtalk] How do I make the first ssh connection?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Apr 28 12:48:26 EST 2001

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 10:05:02AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Jen Hamilton thought:

> A couple of things,
>
> First, Do you want to be ssh'ing to the ftp port (21)?

I figure port 22 isn't allowed out through my work firewall and was trying
other ports that *are* allowed.  Secondly, I'm not running external ftp
services anyhow so using port 21 isn't a problem.

> Secondly, authorized_keys is used for allowing one machine to ssh into
> another machine without using a password. You should still be able to
> connect without populating the authorized_keys file with the identity.pub
> key, you'll just have to enter the password. Also, the known_hosts file is
> populated when you are ssh'ing out, so you shouldn't have to populate that
> at all.

Just trying stuff there.

> The third thing I'd check is the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny
> files. Are they set to allow from the IP?

hosts.allow has entries only for other local machines but a virtual
machine running in vmware and not listed in hosts.allow was able to
connect.

> If you are still stumped, I'd do a tcpdump to watch the communication
> between the hosts.

Still stumped, I've asked work to enable port 22 for my work box so I'll
wait for that and see if I get any further.  I suspect it's the work
firewall now.

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)
Faenor.cod.ie
 12:45pm  up 12 days, 22:59,  0 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.02
Hobbiton.cod.ie
 12:44pm  up 59 days, 22:22,  2 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.08, 0.05