[techtalk] FastTrak100 rant

Angela Nash Chick at the-nashes.net
Thu Apr 26 20:17:20 EST 2001

You aren't missing anything.  The Promise (as well as most other IDE RAID
cards) are software based.  The driver does all the real work, not the card.
They don't have chips on them to offload the RAID processing like a "real"
SCSI RAID card...so you end up using a lot of CPU time anyway.  The only
good benefit to them is that you get a standard disk format in case you dual
boot.

Jason