[techtalk] Better snort/logcheck reporting

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Sat Apr 21 23:43:19 EST 2001

If you go into /etc/logcheck/ you can specify strings to ignore and
strings to mark as violations (rather than "unusual events").

I would imagine there are logcheck rules out ther on the 'net that you can
grab for known attacks that are not included in the defaults. If you are
using the potato version you might check out the files in the
testing/unstable version to see if they have additional rules that aren't
in the earlier one.

You might also check out 'portsentry': it looks for port scans on specific
ports so you don't have to get all of the other traffic as well. Snort is
good for all around stuff.

As far as purging pptpd that seems strange. You can at least remove it
from your rc startup scripts by running
update-rc.d -f pptpd remove

Try purging it again. Maybe the removal script isn't completely correct?

-nicole

At 00:26 on Apr 22, Kath combined all the right letters to say: