[techtalk] Minor ln -s question

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Sat Apr 21 08:33:33 EST 2001

On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 07:58:28AM +1000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> And if you're like me and constantly forget which order it's
> in, 'ln --help' or 'man ln'.
>
> Your mind it too important to clutter with memorising things that
> can be looked up that easily. :)

I finally memorised it by figuring it out this way:

There is one argument ln *needs* - the file being linked to. The name you
give it is actually an optional argument (it will just give it the same
name by default). Hence the new name has to be the second argument, otherwise
it would be a bastard to parse the arguments. :)

Not that the looking up argument isn't a good approach, but at one stage I was
using it like it was going out of fashion, and that particular space in my brain
is taken up by memorising tar's order of arguments (this can be figured out
too actually).

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner