[techtalk] Correction on my comments about Mandrake/Red Hat internationalization

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Apr 16 16:04:52 EST 2001

Hi, everyone,

In my last post I implied that Mandrake installs the Hebrew (he) locale and
various other bits of Hebrew and bidi support by default.  This is
incorrect.  The rpms are on the CDs and you can install them if you choose
to.  However, unless you choose Hebrew as your default language at install
time it isn't actually installed.  What Mandrake does (and Red Hat does not
do) is offer this support on the CDs right out of the box, at least as of
Red Hat 7.0 and Mandrake 7.2.  Even more important to me, Mandrake offers
me the options of choosing an Israeli keyboard (Hebrew/English) and this is
really important to me no matter what language I am typing in, since that's
the keyboard I have on my main system.  Red Hat used to support Israeli
keyboards, but doesn't seem to any more.

What I also hate about Red Hat is that installs a huge number of locales
and docs that I will never use in a million years by default.

All of this obviously could change in the new versions which are about to
be released.

Oh, and no, I have no clue where to buy an Israeli keyboard in the U.S. or
anywhere else outside of Israel other than from online sources.  FWIW, I
bought mine at The Bug Store in Tel Aviv.

Regards,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)