[techtalk] Metered service (was: webads)

Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov Martin.Caitlyn at epamail.epa.gov
Mon Apr 16 14:45:06 EST 2001

Lothan wrote:

> On a complete different tangent, I never did understand how folks in the
UK
> could tolerate metered service for local calls. It just seems so...
> uncivilized. Of course, I was born and bred in the USA so I come from a
> completely different background and point of view.

I grew up in New York City and unlimited service wasn't available there,
either.  We had metered local service, and depending on where you were
calling you were charged a certain number of "message units".  So... it was
cheap (one unit) to call my aunt and uncle who were in Brooklyn near us,
but expensive (three units) to call my grandparents in Queens.

Methinks this needs to move back to grrltalk....  can't post there from
work though.

Best,
Caity

Caitlyn M. Martin             martin.caitlyn at epa.gov
Systems Analyst              (919) 541-4441
Lockheed Martin
(a contractor for the US EPA)