[techtalk] Seeming inconsistency between /etc/passwd and "real" password data

Seageraves Caren cgreat2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 13:57:51 EST 2001

Than you for the suggetion about shadow passwords and
PAM.  I spent a good bit of the morning learning about
these and I feel it was time well spent.  I feel I
will look into using PAM when I need to do program
specific authorization in the future.  And I feel
releived to know what shadow passwords are. I kept
hearing about them but they were not around when I was
introduced to UNIX and I kept not finding the time to

It turned out there is no mention of my account on the
local machine, but I forgot that I am part of a
network and that my machine could get the password
and account information over the network.  I feel a
bit silly. I only use this account locally, because
the servers I access regualar have each have their own
account system.

Thanks again,

Caren