[techtalk] Almost arrested for using telnet

Tami Friedman tami at gnu.org
Thu Apr 12 22:15:48 EST 2001

>Actually isn't putty an ssh client?  If so, she could have avoided the whole
>mess by truthfully answering that she was not running telnet.  Also, if she
>ran it from the floppy, then she wasn't installing anything on the machine.

Putty can do ssh but the machine I telnet into uses kerberos or opie
passwords.  I have several hundred one-time opie passwords which can be
passed safely in the clear no matter the insecurities of the terminal I
might be using.  Kerberos implies trusted host to trusted host and I don't
trust the hosts I am using as dumb terminals.  Even if the sessions I am in
are encrypted, there is no guarantee that my keystrokes on the dumb
terminal are not being recorded.  Therefore, I use disposable passwords and
mindful that I am using an insecure connection, I type nothing confidential
that I would mind seeing broadcast to the world.  For my purposes, telnet
is more than adequate and gives me no false assurances of anything.

.Tami
 .signature: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

tami at gnu.org
(512) 699-7175
Austin, Tx.