[techtalk] Re: Almost arrested for using telnet

Tom E. Turner tom at gnu.org
Thu Apr 12 06:18:48 EST 2001

Tami,

Maybe www.austinfree.net can help you?

   Austin Free-Net Logo signifying a public transit station, along with
   Welcome!
   How-To..?
   AFN Projects
   Community Resources
   Calendar of Events
   Help AFN
   AFN Locations
   Austin Public Library Clear gif
       new!
     * Austin Free-Net VISTA positions available
     * Our First Newsletter!
       Austin Free-Net Update, Spring 2000
       (PDF format)(text version)
     * Clarksville's Website
     * AFN Videos

   Other news
     * AFN's Mailing Address and FAX Number
     * The Sister Project
     * John's Techie Page

   Austin Free-Net is a non-profit corporation providing public access to
   the Internet and emerging technologies for all Austin residents,
   especially those who don't have computers in their homes. Our services
   are available only in public locations. Austin Free-Net is a
   community-driven project.

   Become a Friend of Austin Free-Net today!
   In order for Austin Free-Net to continue, we must have the support of
   the entire community. So we're asking everyone to contribute $20 (or
   more!) each year to Austin Free-Net to ensure that we keep public
   access to the Net alive in Austin. Please, become a Friend today!

   Here's our current list of Friends.
   Check out our 2000 Wish List

   We've had some great media attention lately! Check us out in
     * Mark Henricks' "All's Dell", Houston Press (May 18, 2000)
     * Susan Smith's "Commentary: For the poor, new economy just like
       old," Austin American-Statesman, Metro/State section, Saturday, 13
       May 2000
     * AFN sites and partners featured by David Giddens on Canada's
       MediaTV show broadcast worldwide (Episode 8-24)
     * Kathryn Jones' "Wired Guns," Texas Monthly's BIZ (March 2000)
     * W. Holstein's "A Tale of Two Austins," U.S. News and World Report
       (Feb 21, 2000)
     * Julie Nolen's "Austin is wired: Web magazine ranks city fourth in
       the nation," Daily Texan (15 Feb 2000)
     * Stuart Heady's "The Big Picture," The Good Life Magazine (Dec
       1999)
     * Dianne Lynch's "Person of the Year" Commentary, Wired Women,
       abc.com

   E-Austin's Austin's skyline banner

   Austin Free-Net has also been participating in the Austin Technology
   Coalition to create several collaborative projects to increase access
   to training and technology in Austin. How to find out more? Visit the
   brand new interactive E-Austin site to find out more about the City of
   Austin's Community Technology Initiative, the Community Networking
   Project, and the Universal Access Project.

   50 Most Wired "Thank you, Austin...again!" Yahoo Internet Life has
   named Austin one of the top 50 most wired cities in the country.

   "...Since the establishment of Austin Free-Net five years ago, the
   City has pursued equitable access to information, training and
   technology for all residents, particularly for those that do not have
   computers of their own....

   The City continues to encourage private-public partnerships to better
   provide access to information and technology in user-friendly,
   accessible locations near public transportation and near neighborhoods
   where citizens live, work and play...."
   --Mayor Kirk Watson

   Texas-Sized $$$ for Tech Centers

   The state of Texas has earmarked US$10 million in grants for wiring
   community technology centers to the Internet and to one another. Read
   this article on Wired News. OR

   Visit UT-Austin's Telecommunications and Information Policy Institute
   (TIPI) for summaries and other resources related to Texas
   "telecommunities".

   I keep hearing about the "digital divide." What are some online
   resources that might help me understand what that means?

   There are many groups and agencies discussing the issues of access to
   the Internet and to technology.

   For a full copy of the 1999 "Falling Through the Net" report
   (available in PDF form) visit:
   http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/digitaldivide/

   Austin's PBS affiliate, KLRU, recently held a Community Summit and
   special taping of Austin At Issue. Community members contributed
   definitions and local solutions to issues of the "Digital Divide."
   Visit frequently for a report on the Summit and follow-up strategies.
   Austin Free-Net was there!
   [Note: While text comments are available, video clips require a Quick
   Time plug-in.]

   Recently:
   --The San Francisco Chronicle's Carrie Kirby wrote, "Income Is
   Connecting the Wired: Digital divide by race is starting to shorten,
   study finds," 15 June 2000.

   Other resources on training, policy and access:
   --River's Digital Sojourn site (includes an article exploring the
   costs of "free" computers)
   --Benton Foundation's On the Digital Divide and Digital Divide Network
   --CTCNet's Equity and Access page http://www.ctcnet.org/access.html
   --Department of Commerce Digital Divide Website

   Interested in the International "Digital Divide"?
   Visit: --Global Reach Global Internet Statistics

   As always, a big "thank you!" to library staff and Austin Free-Net
   partners and volunteers. Over 18,000 visits are recorded monthly to
   computer stations on Austin Free-Net's network each month including
   all of the branches of the Austin and Cedar Park Public Library
   systems, and several public access locations around Austin.

   To find out more about Austin Free-Net, please read the Introduction.
   For a more detailed description of the purpose and scope of Austin
   Free-Net, we invite you to read the Austin Free-Net Strategic Plan.

   And be sure to check out our growing list of GREAT Corporate Partners
   and Contributors and the Highlights page for the latest AFN news. Oh,
   and we just happen to have some photos!

   AT&T Logo Special thanks to AT&T for its contribution of two cell
   phones and a year of free service. The phones helps us to serve the
   Austin community more efficiently.

   The icons and buttons described below will appear on every page of
   theAFN site.

   The Icons

   The How-To icon will get you started in case you're new to the World
   Wide Web.

   The Projects icon leads to detailed descriptions of projects Austin
   Free-Net and its partners are working on.

   Community Resources is where you'll find information about housing,
   jobs, government, education, health, and other issues related to life
   in Austin. There are special sections for kids and teens.

   The Search tools lead to anything you want to find on the Internet.

   The Calendar is Austin Free-Net's schedule of events.

   For anyone who wants to help Austin Free-Net, here's information for
   and about our Contributors and a guide for Volunteers.

   The Location section shows you where you can get Internet access
   through Austin Free-Net. It includes a map and descriptions of the
   facilities at all the locations.

   The Library icon goes directly to the Austin Public Library home
   page.

   The Buttons

   The Home button will always take you back here to the Austin Free-Net
   Home page.

   In case the Free-Net computer you're using has a problem, the Tech
   Support button will lead to help.

   The Mail button is one way to contact Austin Free-Net. If you don't
   have your own email address, be sure to include in your message a
   telephone number or other way for us to contact you. We always try to
   answer our mail as soon as possible and we love to hear from you!

   The Feedback button leads to the Austin Free-Net Survey, where you can
   tell us what you think!

   Our new contact information:
   Austin Free-Net
   PMB 226
   P.O. Box 2013
   Austin, Texas 78768-2013 USA
   TEL: 512.326.9084
   FAX: 512.499.3477

   This site was designed by the AustinFree-Net Volunteer Web Team
   Last updated March 2000. Copyright 1996-2000 Austin Free-Net

   CLEAR GIF AFN HomeTech Support
   CLEAR GIF Mail to AFNSURVEY

   CLEAR GIF http://www.austinfree.net

Tom Turner, Volunteer   Phone: 617 253 8568
FSF GNU (MIT NE43-426)  Fax:   617 253 5060
545 Technology Square   Email: tom at gnu.org
Cambridge, MA 02139     http://www.gnu.org and
tturner at alum.mit.edu    http://members.tripod.com/~tturner