[techtalk] Almost arrested for using telnet

Vinnie surmonde at freeshell.org
Wed Apr 11 16:24:06 EST 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, A Kozic wrote:

> But the use in question was using `faggotry' as a synonym for lameness,
> which I could say is offensive to the disabled folks, but I'm not disabled
> or offended, so I won't.

/me wanders out of his lair.

Okay, I will. Words are just that -- it's meanings that count, and context
contributes a lot to meanings. In the context that 'faggotry' was being
used, there was no question (at least if you're going to be handing this
to USians) that in this case 'faggotry' was meant in a very derogatory
sense. 'Lameness' too, is meant in this sense.

I'm not offended, exactly. More like worried about both misinterperatation
and continuing to further inaccurate (and very negative) stereotypes.

Leslie Feinburg has this quote (which I don't have handy right now) which
paraphrased goes something like "Where I come from, political correctness
is about being aware of and acknowledging people's wounds" -- and the more
I think about it, I'm for that sort of PCness (as opposed to the 'we're
going to ignore everyone's differences' PCness) -- Be aware that what you
say can hurt people, and if you can avoid hurting people, do it. And if
you do accidently step on a toe, apologize and endeavor not to step on
that particular toe again.

There's a lot to be said for being civil.

/me wanders back into his lair for a nap.

V.