[techtalk] Almost arrested for using telnet

Rachel Andrew lists at rachelandrew.co.uk
Wed Apr 11 22:16:15 EST 2001

><theorizing>
>If I were running a public internet access place, users would not
>have install permissions and there wouldn't be floppy drives.
>People could download all you want, but all downloads would be
>masked to no-execute and saved to a separate place.  Then when
>you're done, you can bring your floppy over to a service counter
>and the staff would copy it for you.
></theorizing>

this is the system at the 'EasyEverything' internet cafes we have in the
UK, a most amusing moment was when myself and my sysadmin at my last job
went to the EasyEverything downloaded 4 cds worth of server logfiles and
had them copied onto disk, the reason? Our pitiful ISDN connection in the
office would have taken days and the fast connection at the EasyEverything
meant it took a nice morning while we sat and drank coffee.

The look on the guy's face when we went to the counter to have all these
files copied was a picture *grin*

Rachel Andrew
http://www.rachelandrew.co.uk
i know there is strength in the differences between us and i know there is
comfort where we overlap - ani difranco