[techtalk] why debian essay..

Curious curious at curious.org
Wed Apr 11 12:25:33 EST 2001

> > trying to get the aforementioned peripherals (USB mouse and SB Live) to
> > work.  I finally just gave up on it and decided to use Mandrake as a
> > desktop.
>
> I stripped a mandrake system down (as far as I could) to bare bones
> and began to tailor it to what I needed.. When the next release came out
> there was just no way to upgrade.. changes to startup scripts caused
> major confusion and dependencies began to force all sorts of unecessary
> packages on me .. until I was having trouble locating things again.

Speaking of dependencies.. in all of my installs of stripped down systems, I've only encountered two dependancies I didn't like: ethereal requires:  xlibs,  libgtk1.2, and libglib1.2 (I tend to use tethereal (console based sniffer on acid) and editcap (wonderful tool.. very useful for translating data from forign sniffers {like redhat})... however since ethereal also includes the nifty gui.. those dependancies are required.. the other one is the unoffical webmin-core package which requires man2html which requires httpd... and since webmin isn't strictly a "webserver" perse.. I gain the anoying requirement of having to pick a webserver to install.. blech..

--
 \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign      curious at curious.org
  X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail     http://www.curious.org/
 / \  - NO Word docs in e-mail    "This quote is false." -anon