[techtalk] Best programmer's editor for Linux

Curious curious at curious.org
Wed Apr 11 12:03:40 EST 2001

> Another question: What, in your opinon, is the best open-source programmer's
> editor for linux? I know that many will answer emacs, and that's certainly a
> good possibility - but I'm looking for the following:
>
> color coding, particularly for perl, java and html/xml (and even SQL, if
> possible)
> paren checking, tag checking
> easy access to line numbers and line number jumping

vim/gvim are good

> A related question: I've actually never used an IDE - like JBuilder, for
> example. Do those of you who program alot find those useful? In what ways?

kdevelop (www.kdevelop.org) ROX :) supports KDE, QT, Gnome, plain C and C++ development..(it has to be tried to be belived)...  I've heard good things about Komodo (http://www.activestate.com/Products/Enterprise/ASPN_Komodo/) for perl &python development though I haven't used it myself..
Freshmeat has many listings:
http://freshmeat.net/browse/707/

Hope this helps,
Curious