[techtalk] frightening, I know... :-)

jenn at simegen.com jenn at simegen.com
Thu Apr 12 02:36:11 EST 2001

Walt wrote:

> My question is simply this: What concepts/
> ideas would you all consider to be valuable
> and important to newbie computer-users?
> What aspects of computer use would
> you aim to teach?

Teach them not to be scared of the things.
Teach them that computers are even more stupid than they think they are.

Teach them that computers do only what they're told to do - by the
user or by a programmer.
Teach them how to locate, replicate and report bugs.
Teach them troubleshooting.

Teach them Von Neumann architecture - and that it's not the only
kind possible.
Teach them the networking layers.

Have them assemble a computer, so they know they can do it.
Have them write at least one basic program, so they know they can do it.

If programming is on the agenda:
Teach them the language families, and basic coding in each family of
languages.
Teach them boolean logic, and how to construct their own truth tables.
Teach them algorithms, including the brute force 'algorithm'.

Hm. That's a start, anyway.

Jenn V.

jenn at simegen.com     Jenn Vesperman     http://www.simegen.com/~jenn/