[techtalk] Best programmer's editor for Linux

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 12 01:09:04 EST 2001

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 10:29:54AM -0400, Michelle Murrain wrote:
> Another question: What, in your opinon, is the best open-source programmer's
> editor for linux? I know that many will answer emacs, and that's certainly a
> good possibility - but I'm looking for the following:
>
> color coding, particularly for perl, java and html/xml (and even SQL, if
> possible)
> paren checking, tag checking
> easy access to line numbers and line number jumping

Vim has pretty similar functions to emacs in this regard:
it will colour,
it will jump to a particular line (:lineno), and display line numbers
(:set number),
I think it does parens checking, but I don't think it will automatically check
for closed tags in HTML/XML (kind of counter-productive in HTML <= 4, unless it
does it selectively), although it does seem to highlight only valid HTML tags
for me (although again, I doubt it hooks into DTDs or whatever for XML).

However, the beauty of open source software being to some extent programs-for-
programmers is that there are bound to be an editor, or editor adaptation that
meets your needs very closely.

Hopefully other recommendations will pop up. I'm just a stick-in-the-mud. :)

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>