[techtalk] Almost arrested for using telnet

Curious curious at curious.org
Wed Apr 11 01:49:56 EST 2001

Actualy "No downloading" (though probably more vauge then most policies I've read.. since the very act of viewing a webpage is downloading) is a fairly common policy with large companies.. maintaining systems can be quite a difficult task.. adding random applications to a system can add lots of excess troubleshooting time for admins.. If people aren't able to complete their jobs with the restrictions in place.. then the either the policy or the systems themselves aught to be changed.. escpecialy if the policy isn't/can't be enforced...

As for the telnet issue... based on the discription of the policy that was mentioned, it seems to me the organization's policy doesn't support their side.. And the actions they took seem to border on harassment... personaly I would double check the policy.. and if it says exactly what you stated.. and nothing else.. I would take this up to a higher authority...

my 2c :)