[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

Kathryn Hogg kjh at flyballdogs.com
Tue Apr 10 16:00:44 EST 2001

Mary Gardiner said:
> In any case, Kath's mail suggested that the way to register a nameserver is to
> *log on* to Network Solutions with my username and password. Since they are in
> fact the root nameservers, they do know puzzling.org exists, but in no way does
> this imply that I have a username and password at www.networksolutions.com with
> which I can register a nameserver, since they are not in fact my registrar.
>
> This is why I wished to clarify Kath's instructions - since I couldn't use them
> to register a nameserver without first registering a domain through them, if
> folllwoing her instructions.

There is no real logging on at Network Solutions.  Go to their site and
do a "whois" on your domain.  Only the person (or role) listed as the
Technical (or is it adminstrative) contact can make changes.  The real horrible
part relies on mailing to/from this person and/or verifying the e-mail address
you supply when making changes is in fact that person.

If worst comes to worst, you can print out one of their paper forms and fax
it to them.

--
Kathryn Hogg