[techtalk] Registering DNS servers

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Tue Apr 10 15:30:53 EST 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 02:17:07PM +1000, jenn at simegen.com wrote:
> Mary Gardiner wrote:
> If you're in other domains (.com.au, for instance) you deal with
> whoever administers THAT domain, both for registration and for
> registering your nameserver. In the .com.au case, I believe it's
> AUNIC .. or maybe Melbourne IT. :/
>
> Clear as mud? Good...

OK - I knew about NSI being the 'central repository' as it were for .com
et al.

However, what about this problem:

I host puzzling.org on 203.24.211.109. The reverse lookup is actually
ophelia.weblink.com.au because of course reverse lookups are done by the
nameserver for the whole class C.

If I want to have a nameserver on that machine (and I may), must it be named
ophelia.weblink.com.au and registered with AUNIC, or could I name it
ns.puzzling.org (for example) and register it with NSI?

Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>